Experience Hill Tribe Lifestyle
(Please note – this workshop is only available during the rice growing season during July to November and booking is dependent on availability of accommodation. Advance booking is advisable.)
This workshop takes us to the Karen hill tribe village of Parmon on Thailand’s highest mountain, Doi Inthanon. We will spend time photographing;
- Mountain landscapes with terraced rice fields
- Karen people working in the rice fields
- Karen people in their traditional village environment
- Outdoor, natural light portraits of Karen people using a daylight studio
- a beautiful waterfall
- Doi Inthanon Royal Project Gardens
- Tropical rainforest walk
About the Workshop
We travel to Doi Inthanon start our workshop at one of the mountain’s many scenic waterfalls. At the falls Kevin will teach about composition and using a slow shutter speed to gain dramatic effect when capturing movement.
From here we move further up the mountain and get off the beaten track to Parmon Karen Hill Tribe Village where we will check in to our accommodation and enjoy lunch together.
After lunch we walk in the village and photograph traditional aspects of Karen lifestyle. Kevin will teach about light and why gaining a better understanding of it is the most essential ingredient of photography. He’ll teach you how your camera reads and responds to light, and how to make a good exposure. Understanding this will give you greater scope to be creative in your photography. You will learn composition technique and how to look more carefully. We’ll demonstrate the impact point of view has when framing your subject. You will gain a new appreciation of what you see when you look through your camera.
Later in the afternoon we will spend time in the rice fields with the Karen as they look after their crops. As the sun sinks lower in the sky it will be time for some landscape photography of the fields and surrounding hills.
Back at the village for the evening we will stop for dinner and a good night’s sleep.
We will rise early to photograph the valley of terraced rice fields again before breakfast.
During the morning we will shoot a series of portraits using Kevin’s daylight studio. Kevin has developed his portable studio to make portraits of people in their rural locations, but against a black background and a white background. Making these dramatic shots of traditionally dressed tribal people isolated against plain backgrounds is a unique photographic experience that always produces stunning results.
The Doi Inthanon Royal Project gardens are our next stop where Kevin will focus teaching on macro photography, understanding depth of field and ensuring your images are sharp. We’ll also eat lunch at the restaurant here.
Early in the afternoon we take an easy stroll along a board walk in the rain forest near the top of the mountain. Here Kevin will teach more about light and composition and lens focal length options (and how they affect composition.)
After this we will return to Chiang Mai.
- Pick up drop off at Ta Pae gate (8am/early evening.)
- Transport to each location in an air conditioned vehicle.
- Two lunches, one dinner, one breakfast, coffee and cold drinks.
- One night’s accommodation (share twin bed room)
- Entrance fees into various locations where required.
- Instructional teaching while on location and in the vehicle between locations.
- One month’s free email Q&A after the workshop (if you leave us a review on Trip Advisor.)
- Items of a personal nature.
- Extra food and drink.
2 Day Karen Village Lifestyle Workshop Prices
18,900 Thai Baht per person. This workshop is limited to 2 people per trip.
* If two people are booking together the price is discounted to 17,900 baht per person.
* If you wish to take this workshop exclusively as the only participant to receive tutoring directly tailored to your skill level, the price is 32,900 Baht.
All of our standard terms and conditions apply.
We are flexible to offer our workshops 7 days a week. Please use our Contact form to inquire regarding availability.
Everyone booking a two day workshop who gives us a review on Trip Advisor will receive one month of free email questions and answers relating to any topic covered during the workshop.
Don’t just take our word for it – click here to read the reviews we have from happy photographers who have completed our workshops.