Hill Tribes, Orchids and Elephants Photo Opportunities
On this one day workshop we travel a short distance north of the city to the Mae Sa valley to experience a variety of visually stimulating locations. During this workshop we visit:
- A majestic rural temple
- Experience elephants close up and showing off.
- Northern hill tribe people in a traditional setting.
- Stunning orchid flower gardens or …
- Learn essential editing skills
About the Workshop
Starting at a serene rural temple we will begin with teaching about light and you’ll gain understanding as to why it’s the essential ingredient of photography. We’ll teach you how your camera reads and responds to light, and how to make a good exposure. Understanding this will give you greater scope to be creative in your image making. Photographing these majestic old structures also requires a good eye for composition.
Next we visit a number of different hill tribe peoples who dress traditionally and enjoy being photographed, either as they go about their daily chores or pose for portraits. Here we focus our teaching on getting strong environmental portraits. The setting is very special and affords a great situation to really enjoy photographing people in their traditional village surroundings. Over the time we have been visiting this village we have built up some lovely friendships with the people, so these relationships truly help our customers get more intimate photographs
Before lunch we visit an elephant camp briefly where we teach about capturing action at the decisive moment. Photographing these huge and gentle animals is a fun challenge indeed.
After lunch there are two options except during the hot season when only Option A is available.
Afternoons in Chiang Mai can be pretty hot, especially from March until June so we will sit in a cool, relaxed environment, enjoy an iced coffee, soda or fruit drink and look over the images you have made during the morning. We will teach you our tried and true workflow for culling and beginning to edit your images. If you have your own laptop or tablet please bring it along or we can use our laptop to view your images.
After lunch we stop at a stunning orchid garden we will teach about getting in close and framing your subject carefully. This is where Pu really loves to be and loves to teach about getting the best macro shots of the flowers. We’ll also study in more detail about how your point of view affects composition and how to avoid distracting objects in the background. Depth of field control will be another topic covered along with more on how to better understand light.
- Pick up drop off at Ta Pae gate (7am~3pm.)
- Transport to each location during the day in an air-conditioned vehicle.
- Entrance fees into the various places we visit.
- Instructional teaching.
- One month’s free email Q&A after the workshop (if you leave us a review on Trip Advisor.)
- Items of a personal nature
- Food and drink extra to lunch
1 Day Mae Sa Workshop Price
8,900 Thai Baht per person
* If two or more people are booking together the price is discounted to 8,000 Baht per person.
* If you wish to take this workshop exclusively as the only participant to receive tutoring directly tailored to your skill level, the price is 15,900 Baht.
Everyone booking a one day workshop who gives us a review on Trip Advisor will receive one month of free email questions and answers relating to any topic covered during the workshop.
Don’t just take our word for it – click here to read the reviews we have from happy photographers who have completed our workshops.